On 23 May 2014 a battle took place near Karlovka between the pro-Ukrainian patriotic volunteer Defense force “Donbas” and the terrorist battalion “Vostok”. The Donbas battalion has given its account on the course of events on their facebook page.
Early in the morning a platoon of 25 persons of the civilian volunteer Defense Force “Donbas”, of whom 80% are residents of the Donetsk Oblast, moving by several cars and minibuses, ran into an ambush of terrorists from the so-called “battalion “Vostok [‘East’ in Russian]”, numbering 100 persons. The Donbas battalion was armed with small arms, hand grenades, 1 sniper rifle, while the Vostok battalion was armed with sufficiently heavier weaponry: small arms, heavy weapons (large-caliber machine guns and grenade launchers), three APCs, and had a group of several snipers. As per the Donbas battalion, 80% of the terrorists from “battalion Vostok” do not live in the region, being Chechen terrorists, fighters of the former Crimean “Alpha” [special unit of Security Service], fighters of the former Crimean “Berkut” [a special police force known for its violent actions against Euromaidan protesters], while 20% are civilian fighters from the self-proclaimed terrorist republic “Donetsk People’s Republic” (DPR).
As a result of the battle, 5 persons were killed and 6 were wounded from the Donbas battalion, while the Vostok battalion suffered losses of 11 killed and 6 wounded. None of the “Donbas” fighters were captured.
List of the fallen “Donbas” fighters:
1. Callsign “Ded” (Old man) – a resident of Makeevka, the Donetsk region, 60 years old, retired. He was severely wounded, but kept on firing to the very last cartridge. The final message from him was that he had only two grenades left and Chechens were coming up on him. He attempted to blast himself but was shot dead. He had killed 2 terrorists.
2. Callsign “Fedor” – a resident of Donetsk, 38 years old, a businessman. He was blocked in the building, fired to the very last cartridge. Upon the order of the squad commander he gave his body amour to his comrades and left the building against guarantee of getting medical care. But the terrorist from the former Crimean “Berkut” has broken officer’s word of honor and shot down unarmed and wounded person. Fedor had killed 2 terrorists, wounded 2 terrorists.
3. Callsign “Raider” – a resident of Artemovsk, the Donetsk region, 36 years old, a programmer. He refused to surrender even though he was seriously wounded. He was shot dead by under barrel grenade launcher. Later on terrorists have burned up his body and presented him to the Russian media as a local dweller killed brutally by “banderites”. He had killed 1 terrorist.
4. Callsign “Ryaboy” (Speckled) – a resident of Donetsk, 33 years old. He fought fiercely covering the retreat of his brothers in arms, was wounded severely. He crawled up through the mash to his own forces, retained his hand arms. He died in the hospital. He had killed 1 terrorist.
5. Callsign “Matvey” – a military retiree, 61 years old, former commander of a border security post, a retired major. While covering the retreat of his comrades he caused serious damage to the enemy’s manpower by delaying the advance of armored vehicles. He died in action.
The terrorists were receiving reinforcements from Donetsk several times in the course of the battle, so that their numbers were increased to 300 persons at the end. As the battalion tells, this was a real opportunity to destroy the whole gang by striking from air or engaging armored carriers of ATO (anti-terrorist operation) forces. However, despite the numerous promises of the Ukrainian military to reinforce the Donbas battalion with APCs, snipers, or to send helicopters, none of those arrived during the 4,5 hours’ long battle.
The volunteer battalion “Donbas” refutes any claims about the surrender of any of its fighters. Fighters that were regarded as possible prisoners had either broken through the encirclement or turned out to be dead. It also assures that information about civilians killed by its fighters of Defense Force “Donbas” is untrue and announcements about heroic victories of the separatists in this battle is also false.
Meanwhile, it is undoubted that the lightly armed volunteer Donbas battalion consisting of Donetsk Oblast residents without any aid from state forces has caused considerable damage to the armed to the teeth subdivision of specially trained terrorists.
The volunteer defense battalion conculdes:
Civil war is starting. Mass mobilization to the terrorist “army of “DPR” is being carried out, numerous weaponry is imported, mercenaries from abroad are arriving.
Mass atrocities have started; terrorists hunt the families of commanders of Ukrainian defense forces; deceitful propaganda pours out of every corner.
If we want to win – we must do as the idol of separatists, Vladimir Lenin, has said: “One should study military science thoroughly”.
We must be ready to deal with blood, filth and betrayal.
We must build a new army, new militia, new SBU (Security Service of Ukraine).
We must build a new state – contemporary, powerful, one that protects its people by all means anywhere in the world.
Future belongs to Ukraine.
Glory to Ukraine!
Source: Facebook page of